Barefoot 1

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Letting Go

Okay, so I have a hard time doing this. I like being in control, and when I have to try to let go of my kids and let them make mistakes and possibly get hurt, the idea scares me out of my mind. Somebody once said "Let go and let God." I have no idea who it was, but I'm assuming they are very wise.

I'm one of those mom's that feels like my child only gets hurt when I'm not around. Sadly enough, I just realized a few days ago, that my child has been hurt the most when I was right there. My child fell backwards off a table seat and hit her head and scared me almost more than it scared her. The other day we were at Breckenridge park and just before we were leaving she started running straight for a metal bar that was about forehead height on her. I told her to watch out for the bar but she turned around and kept running. She hit it so hard it knocked her on her back. Since we were leaving anyway, I picked her up and started walking off. Thankfully she didn't cry for very long and only ended up with a small line across her forhead that was barely visible the next day.

I guess I still have a long way to go before I'm able to let go, but they're still young, so there's hope for me yet. Over the years when I've messed up and tried to learn from it I like to keep saying that God's still working on me, like the children's song says. Of course, Brandon Heath came out with a song that I really like called "Waite and See." The lyrics are below for your reading pleasure.


"Wait and See" by Brandon Heath

I was born in Tennessee, late July humidity doctors said I was lucky to be alive
I've Been troubled since the day that I got here,troubled to the day I
disappear That'll be the day that I finally get it right

Chorus
There is hope, for me yet, because God won't forget, all the plans he's made for me
I have to wait and see, he's not finished with me yet, he's not finished with me yet

I never really was that good in school. Talked to much, broke the rules
My teachers thought I was a hopeless fool all right.
I don't know how but I made it through, it's one of those things you gotta do
I always had a knack for telling the truth.

Chorus

Still wonerin' why I'm here. Still wrestling with my fear But oh... He's up to something,
And the farther out I go, I've seen enough to know that I'm not here for nothin'
He's up to somethin'

So here's my time to be a man, follow my heart as far as I can
No tellin' where I'm ending up tonight
I never slow down or so it seems, but singing my heart is one of my dreams
All I gotta do is hold on tight.

There is hope, for me yet, because God won't forget, all the plans he's made for me
I have to wait and see, he's not finished with me yet, he's not finished with me yet
He's not finished with me yet, He's not finished with me yet"

1 comment:

H Noble said...

Sounds like a good song.
And oh, so hard to watch them get hurt, knowing before it happens that its about to. I learned a valuable lesson from Abbey M when she was caring for Eli in the beginning. We were on the front porch and she let Jachin walk off the side into the bushes. It scratched him up and he cried, but she said, "Now, he will know not to walk off the edge." And he did know. Wise words from a wise mother!