Barefoot 1

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Camp Longhorn

It's been a while since I been back to Camp Longhorn, but before my eldest daughter was born I have attended or worked there every summer since '91. It's hard to believe that I spent so much time there. In all honesty, I didn't really enjoy my time as a camper. Most of the kids had a lot of money and we certainly didn't. I always felt like an outsider. Years after my camper days and after my time as a counselor and nurse at the same camp, I realized how much I took my experiences for granted.

I definitely regret some of the behaviors I exhibited while there, and even some of my prejudices against some of the other people there. What I've learned is that no matter how people lives their lives away from camp, they are all there to teach, learn, and grow as individuals, even if they aren't aware of it at the time. I loved teaching the girls new things, and caring for the sick patients that entered the Pit Stop. Unfortunately, I probably didn't make a difference in many lives, but many of those children and college students taught me more than they'll ever know. Some of the things I enjoy the most involve Camp Longhorn.


I love my aunt that lives at CLH for many reasons, not the least of which is her ability to confront people. Now, I don't like being told just how badly I'm messing up, but I know it is necessary for me to grow spiritually. This is a thank you to her for telling me like it is and for trying to get me to be the best person I can in any situation. She has always been supportive of me and the person I've become. I hope to always make her, and everyone else in my family, proud of me.



There is a place among the hills and dales


Upon a lake where breezes fill the sails


It seems to be calling back to me


It's the life for you and it's the life for me


My buddy come out tonight the campfire is aglow


No place on earth where truer friends you'll know


I'm waiting for the day when back to you I'll go, Camp Longhorn

Disclaimer: I love all of my relatives, but this one in particular has been on my heart recently, and is therefore written about in this post.

No comments: