Barefoot 1

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Lifelong Enjoyment

When I was young, I took piano lessons.  I asked and asked for lessons.  Then we moved and my friends were taking dance, so I wanted to take dance.  We didn't have much money, so I had to choose whether I wanted to take dance or continue piano lessons.  I chose piano.  We moved again and was too busy with band and sports that the idea of taking piano lessons didn't come up.  Did I want to take lessons?  Occasionally I wanted to take lessons again, but never asked, and truth be told, I was terrible about practicing.  I had other things I wanted to do.  When it comes to learning, I haven't had many instances where I had to try hard, and because of that, I don't think I have a strong work ethic. 

In college, I played at a friend's house occasionally, but I never play within earshot of others.  I didn't want others to hear me play for fear of being judged.  I've played for judges during yearly tests about memorization of a certain number of pieces and the ability to sight read music.  Some years I did better than others, but after I stopped taking lessons, I quit playing for people.  I played in the mall, for church, and recitals, but I don't like playing for people.

My mom took my grandmother's piano when she died and it was understood that it was my piano, but it took 6 years before we finally made an effort to get it to our house (and by effort I mean my parents rented a Uhaul trailer to bring us a couch and the piano).  The girls enjoy playing on it once in a while, and I have taught them the note names, where middle C is, etc,.  I went through all of our piano books (my old ones and my mom's old ones) and got the itch to play.  I played this morning for a while the kids were playing outside and Jeff was mowing.  I played more after lunch too, and finally let the kids hear me play.  Two of them ignored me and the other just said why are you playing that?  I think I'll be playing more often for enjoyment and not worry about what it sounds like.  

This year, we are going to be going through my old piano books and I'm going to try to teach them a few things and set aside time each day to practice what I want them to learn.  We are also going to be taking dance lessons, so this should be interesting.  I know nothing about dance.  I am an athlete, but I am in no way equipped to handle kids in dance.  This should be an interesting year, but I am looking forward to it. 

No comments: