Barefoot 1

Monday, July 11, 2016

Philippines Part 2

We sent our friend Jonathan Herb off Sunday morning around 2:00AM for a flight to Mindanao. By the time we left for church, he had arrived and was headed into the mountains for research and learning.

Monday

This morning I left with a Filipino lady that works here at KIM (Kids International Ministries) to go see a patient at the hospital. She goes down every other day to bring water, formula, food, and buy any medicines the boy needs. It was quite an adventure. I even took a camera with me, but was unable to take pictures. There are a few of me with the family. Okay, so here goes:

We left the YMC (ministry center) on a Tricycle (Motorcycle with a side car) with at least 5 passengers on it and drove to the end of the street and caught a Jeepney and rode it to the train station. At the train station we got in one of many lines to buy a ticket. We rode that train all the way to the end of the line. We then walked up and over the tracks, downs the stairs and along a long walkway to the next line of trains, bought a ticket. The train was so full we didn't fit on the next 2 trains. On the third train, we walked on and as I was getting on to the full train, the door started beeping indicating it was going to close. It was so close to me that my pants and the back of my shirt got caught in the door. I guess the train knew I was putting too much pressure on the door, so it opened again, and my new friend Aileen (i-leen) pulled me further into the train. There were people touching us all around us. We drove past the Central Bureau of Investigation (Filipino FBI), Manila City Hall, the National Museum, a very pretty children's park, and the Supreme Court building. When we got to the hospital, we had to please the security because it wasn't visiting hours, and went into the "Room" where the patient was. There are over 30 beds in 1 room/wing and what seemed like very little A/C. We brought them some necessities and then went with the mom to buy his medicine, some water, food for her and her husband, and said good bye for the day. Oh, and did I mention Teresa (the mom) thinks her sister has a picture of me with her at home. They live in Tent City, which we visited when we came in 2012. She is very sweet and loving.



The trip home was much less eventful, but we did have to wait for the car to fill up outside of the train station before they would leave, which took 15-20 minutes. When we got back to our road, it started raining, and we caught another tricycle back to the YMC. I'm sure Jeff will have some stories of his own to tell, but I need to see where I'm needed, so that will have to wait for another day.

Teri


No comments: