Barefoot 1

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Socks

Socks aren't my favorite piece of clothing. In fact, they are probably my least favorite, because the older they are, the less elastic that is in them, so the further into the day you get, the easier they slip off of your feet or move sideways when you change positions or take your shoes on and off. If you don't wear them to bed you have cold feet that take forever to warm up in bed and if i do wear them to bed, I have to take them off and put them on the floor so I don't sweat to death. I will be happy when winter is over and I no longer have to consider whether or not to wear socks to bed.

Why socks? Because in our difficult decision to move away from friends and family while pregnant and me dealing with post partum depression, we have been welcomed into our new church and made new friends who have come to help at the drop of a hat. I think I had my first migraine about a month ago and it was so painful that when I called a friend to see if she could come help with the kids, I couldn't hardly talk because the pain was so bad and I was in tears. Today, after Nathan didn't sleep a wink past midnight unless he was being held standing up, which meant Jeff and I got very little sleep, we had several friends offer to bring me coffee (which I don't drink, but it's a nice gesture), and 4 or so people who were available to watch the kids if I needed a nap. I did end up napping while everyone was down for a nap/quiet time.  Thankfully all the kids are in bed asleep right now, and hopefully Jeff will be home soon and we can all get a good night's sleep to recover. Nathan has had a fever since about 8:00 or so and we have been alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol and his temperature has stayed over 100. In the process of raising 4 kids through nightmares, illness, teething, and the newborn stage, that's the most I have stayed up since my 1 almost all-nighter in college (not counting the 4 nights I was in labor and had babies). This is just something I'm not accustomed to.

My whole point being that our small group has really blessed the socks off of us, and we are so grateful to be doing life with these fellow believers who are willing to stick their necks out for us. I just hope we are able to be there for others within our local body of believers in their time of need as they have for us in ours.

No comments: